Posted by Paddle Pioneer on 2023 Oct 31st
Ever wondered why you need that little bag of rope, that is often attached to your canoe or kayak? It's a Throwbag.
What is it?
A throwbag contains a buoyant rope stuffed inside, designed for water rescue operations.
Why is it important?
- Swift Rescues: Enables quick assistance to someone in distress without entering the water.
- Distance Coverage: Can reach a person far from the rescuer, extending the range of help.
- Safety First: Keeps rescuers safe by avoiding direct exposure to potential hazards.
- It's required by Transport Canada for all vessels including canoes and kayaks
Features to Look For:
- Buoyant, floating line.
- Reflective strips for low-light visibility.
- Compact and easy-to-carry design.
Pro Tip: Regularly practice throwing your bag to improve accuracy and speed in an emergency!
Stay safe and informed, and always prioritize safety when near or on the water!